Bacon Candied Sweet Potatoes
Write a review
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
- 8 medium sweet potatoes (3 1/2 to 4 lb.)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- kosher salt
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. light brown sugar, divided
- 1 c. mini marshmallows
- Cinnamon, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°. Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork and rub with vegetable oil. Season with salt and bake directly on oven rack until tender, 50 to 60 minutes, then let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to let cool, then crumble 2 slices. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- When sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, make a slit in the top and carefully scoop out flesh into a medium bowl, then transfer potato skins to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Mash potato flesh until mostly smooth, then add crumbled bacon, reserved bacon fat, ¼ cup brown sugar, and salt and stir to combine.
- Preheat broiler. Carefully divide sweet potato mixture among skins and top with remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and marshmallows. Tuck remaining bacon into sweet potatoes, breaking into pieces to evenly distribute, then broil until marshmallows are golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Dust with cinnamon before serving.