Bacon Garlic Gougères
Write a review
1 hr 5 min
1 hr 5 min
- 7 slices bacon minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter cup into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese grated
- 1 large egg yolk
- Fry the minced bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until almost crisp, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to fry for about 1 minute. Drain the bacon and garlic with a fine mesh sieve and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Set aside.
- Add the butter, salt, and water to a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir until the butter is fully melted. Remove from heat and stir in the flour until well combined.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture is no longer sticking to the sides of the pan and forms a ball, about 2 minutes.
- Continue cooking and stirring until a dry film forms on the bottom of the pot and the dough is no longer sticky, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the dough cool for about 5 minutes. Add the whole eggs, one at a time, mixing until fully incorporated in between each addition. Stir in the cheese and bacon mixture.
- Use a 1 tablespoon sized cookie scoop and drop round mounds of batter on the prepared baking sheets. Gently roll each mound of dough into a ball and space them 2 inches apart.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon of water with the egg yolk and brush it over the tops of each dough ball.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until puffed up and golden. The centers should be dry and sound hollow when tapped.