Write a review
- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- roughly 6 oz unsalted butter, about 3/4 cup
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil
- Arrange bacon slices on the foil and place the baking sheet on the center rack. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until very crisp. When fully crisp, remove slices to a paper towel lined plate to soak up any excess grease.
- Measure the bacon grease in ounces (for me it was 2 oz) and pour into a thick pot. Add enough butter to make 8 oz.
- Arrange the 3/4 of the bacon strips into an oval about 8x14 inches on a greased sheet of aluminum foil. Crumble the remaining bacon and set aside.
- Cook the butter, bacon grease, sugar, and water in a heavy saucepan, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer says it has reached the hard crack stage. Remove from heat immediately and pour over bacon strips.
- Allow to sit for five minutes and spread chocolate chips over the surface of the warm toffee.
- When melted use a knife to spread the melted chocolate across the top of the toffee. Garnish with crumbled bacon.
- Allow the toffee to sit until the chocolate has set.
- When set, use a large knife to cut the toffee into pieces.