Maple Bacon Pancakes
Write a review
- 6-8 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose white or whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Cook bacon and chop into small (~1/4 inch) pieces, set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl use a fork to combine egg, milk, and applesauce. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). Stir in cottage cheese, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet, spreading batter if necessary. For dollar-size pancakes, use about 1 tablespoon batter. After batter is spread, cover with chopped bacon, then flip. Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm, topped with more bacon and syrup. Makes 12 standard-size pancakes or 40 dollar-size pancakes.